Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Call a spade a space

Well today at the doctor’s office I did something that everyone should do from time to time. I told someone who really deserves it to “f*** off.”

I really am a nice guy; I stopped off at the coffee shop and bought 4 coffees for the girls who work at the hand clinic at Toronto Western Hospital. It was time for my 6 month check up on the nerve transposition surgery I had. One of the nurses gave me a form to fill out. While I was standing there waiting to return it, this woman and her husband who were registering were really being nasty. The nurse, who was filling in for one of the regulars asked her for his heath card (for you Americans, think of it as a government issued insurance card for our free health care). The woman, the wife of the patient, told her that she did not bring it. The nurse said, “you have to bring it every time to every doctor’s appointment.” Then her husband says, “the information is all the same.” The nurse says, “I realize that, but you must bring it with you and show it.” Well the wife then get nasty, she says, “fine you don’t have to be ignorant about it, you’ve already said that 2 times.” I turned to her and said “and you don’t have to be a bitch about it, the woman is just trying to do her job.”

Well all hell broke lose. This woman, who is in her 50’s, takes a swing at my head calling me a “little bastard.” Her husband kicks me in the ankle, the nurse was loving every minute of it as I yelling back, “you f***ing bitch, she has to swipe the card in order for the doctor to get paid and to update your records”, the nurse was just smacking the desk saying “yeah, YEAH!”

And it just kept on going, even after I sat down, these two people are calling me every name in the book, except fag which was quite surprising since that’s about the only thing they could have called me that would have been half way accurate. “Drug addict, stupid asshole, grade school drop out” well you get the picture. I finally just said, “would you just shut your mouth you whore.” When I finally was called in to see the doctor, I just said, “I am sorry.” He says “for what?” I replied, “oh you will hear about it from the next patient.”

As I left I told the girls I was sorry for causing such a disturbance and they just said don’t feel bad you were only protecting us. All the way home, I had this stupid smile on my face. I felt bad for loosing it since I rarely do, but I also had a great sense of self-satisfaction knowing that the nurse will never forget that day at the office and the patient and his wife may think hard before they call someone else ignorant.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

You're my kind of fairy, guy! God how I'd love to do that! I get so pissed off at people who think they are entitled to having their boots licked making life miserable to people who have to suck it up to keep their jobs. Good going, guy, your Karma edged a bit further into the green in my book.

7:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home